- Accommodations for 10 people
- Conference rooms for 15 people
History of the Building
Ala-Kuninkala was moved to Kallio-Kuninkala in 1918 from Syväranta, to serve as the summer home of Arvi Paloheimo, oldest son of K.A. Paloheimo, and his bride Eva Sibelius, the eldest daughter of Aino and Jean Sibelius.
Later, the villa operated for many decades as the Finnish summer home of Yrjö Paloheimo’s family. In the Ala-Kuninkala garden stands a well shelter designed by architect Annikki Paasikivi. On the hill between Ala-Kuninkala and the main building sits the forged “Kullervon Sotaanlähtö”, a copy of the pennant K.A. Paloheimo donated to the Tuusula Folk High School as a ceiling ornament. The original pennant was removed from the Folk High School’s premises during renovations.
Ala-Kuninkala, or the Red Villa, as it was also known as, was renovated in 2000 and transferred from the Paloheimo family to the use of the Sibelius Academy. The building was originally built in the Karelian commissure, from where it was first moved to Syväranta at Lake Tuusula (currently known as the Lotta museum), along with other buildings that were moved from the commissure as the railway was completed. After the Russian revolution, the villa was moved to Eva and Arvi Paloheimo’s use in Kallio-Kuninkala.
The current furnishing tells the story of the families (Paloheimo, Sibelius, Järnefelt, Halonen) at Lake Tuusula, and one of its themes focuses on a collection of paintings made by Kerttu Paloheimo. The interior of the house was designed by interior designer Outi Lepäntalo.